The Paperback Shack was established in 1978. In it’s heyday, there were two brick and mortar locations and various flea market shops. When the business picked up, the flea markets became more hassle than they were worth, so the owners stopped attending and focused on their brick and mortar storefronts. In the late 1990’s, because of health issues, the original owners reduced down to one store, in Niles, and closed the other.
In July 2015, the original owner sold the store. The new owner had a connection to the store because she would shop there on Thursdays with her Grandpa.
The new owner is a bibliophile. She is a voracious reader and reads across genres. She has a Creative Writing MFA and loves to encourage others to read and write. Her new blog will be published in 2017: and focuses on reading (recommendations, reviews) and writing (reviews of writing texts, recommendations of writing texts, advice). You can check it out here: www.paperbackcounselor.com
Since the new owner took over there have been a lot of changes at “the little bookstore next to Marc’s”.
- Organized the store by section (Romance, Spicy, Best Seller, Horror, Science Fiction, Western, History, Christian, Mystery & Thriller, Paranormal, Young Adult & Children’s, New Paperbacks) and alphabetized the books by the author’s last name
- Painted the store a lovely hue of teal
- Resurfaced the counter
- Electronic customer database
- New rolling bookcases (in progress)
- New flooring (will be installed before the end of 2017)
- Began hosting write-ins and writer’s group meetings
- Added writing classes and editing to our list of services
- Advised an intern from The Ohio State University last summer
- Invited high school students in for Job Shadowing
Things we’re working on:
- Book database for our inventory
- Adding more classes
- Adding a book club
The last two years have been amazing and we look forward to growing and adding to our community for years to come.